The Deputy Rector carries out administrative decisions on behalf of the Rector, when necessary, due to absence or other impediments.
Full professor in Metaphysics and Philosophy of Mind, University of L’Aquila, Italy;
Area of Specialisation
Philosophy of Mind, Metaphysics.
Area of Competence
Epistemology, Philosophy of the Cognitive Science, Philosophy of Science; Philosophy of Language.
1990 - 1995: Ph.D. in Philosophy of Science, University of Genoa, Italy.
1981- 1987: Degree in Philosophy (Philosophy of Science) Summa cum laude, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy.
2017 - Erasmus Mundus visiting professor, Université de Liège, Belgium (Federico Boccaccini, Bruno Leclerq, Arnauld Dewalque).
2015 - Visiting Professor, Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P.R. China.
2009 - Visiting professor, Durham University, UK (Jonathan Lowe).
1996 - 1998 - Post-doctorate fellowship, University of Rome Tre.
1997 - Visiting Scholar, Center for Cognitive Science, Rutgers University, USA (Jerry Fodor).
1993 - Center for Cognitive Studies, Tufts University, USA (Daniel Dennett).
2005 - present: Full professor, University of L'Aquila.
2001 - 2005: Associate Professor, University of L'Aquila.
1999 - 2001: Researcher, University of L'Aquila.
1997 - 2000: Adjunct Professor, University of L'Aquila.
1997 - 1998: Adjunct Professor, Rome Program, St. Mary's College Notre-Dame.
2020 - present: Director, Center for the study of transcodification, University of L'Aquila.
2013 - 2019: Dean/Head, Department of Human Studies, University of L'Aquila.
2009 - 2013: President of the Scientific committee of the University Library, Humanities section.
2002 - 2005: Member of the Evaluation Committee of the University of L'Aquila.
2001 - 2008: Chair of the program in Communication Sciences, University of L'Aquila.
Services to the profession
- Steering committee of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy 2014 - 2016
- President of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy 2012-2014.
- Editorial board of the Rivista di Filosofia (Italian Journal of Philosophy) 2012 – present
- Scientific Board of the East Asian Journal of Philosophy, since its foundation.
- Editorial board of Logic & Philosophy of Science.
- Program Committee of the European Philosophy of Science Association conference 2009.
- Chair of the Program Committee of the Italian Society Analytic Philosophy triennial conference, L’Aquila 2013.
- Referee for Mind, Synthese, Journal of the American Philosophical Association, Erkenntins, European Journal of Philosophy, Philosophical Psychology, dialectica, Theoria (Sweden), Pragmatics and Cognition, Review of Philosophy and Psychology, European Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Cognitive Science Quarterly, Topoi, Philosophical Papers, Rivista di Filosofia, Epistemologia, Sistemi intelligenti, Peruvian Journal of Philosophy, Analysis.
- Referee for the European Commission on the Marie Curie Eco-Soc Panel, 2016-2020.
2008 - 2010: Italian Minister of Research Prin Grant: Metaphysics, (Local coordinator)
2006 - 2008: Italian Minister of Research Prin Grants: Mind and normativity (member)
2004 - 2006: Italian Minister of Research Prin Grants: Mind and normativity (member)
Publications: 4 books, 3 edited books, 5 special issue and some 80 papers or contributed chapters. Please, see list here.
Conferences and talks
I have given more than hundred talks and conferences, upon invitation or submitted, to the following Universities and venues:
ITALY: Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica (IRST), Trento, Rome Tre, Palermo, Genoa, S. Marino, Salerno, Urbino, Rome “La Sapienza”, Torino, Bologna, Parma, Siena, Napoli “Federico II”, Cassino, SISSA Trieste, Firenze, Piemonte Orientale, Rome “Tor Vergata”, Sassari, Università Vita-Salute Milano, Bolzano, Trieste, Teramo, Macerata, Salento sede di Lecce e Brindisi, Cagliari, Bicocca Milano, Urbino;
FRANCE: Institut de Science Cognitive (Lyon); Université de Grenoble (Grenoble);
IRELAND: Queen’s University, (Belfast);
UK: Durham University (Durham);
SPAIN: Universidad de Madrid (Madrid);
THE NETHERLANDS: Vrije Universitet (Amsterdam);
SLOVENIA: Maribor center (Maribor);
SWEDEN: Lund University (Lund);
POP. REP. CHINA: Fudan University, Jiao-Tong University (Shanghai); Peking University, (Beijing), Hangzhou University (Hangzhou);
USA: Boston University, Tufts University (Boston);
AUSTRALIA: Maquarie University (Sydney) Melbourne University (Melbourne).
Teaching experience 1987-2020
Seminars and courses at the following Universities: University of Rome “La Sapienza”, University of Roma Tre, Saint Mary's College, University of Genoa; University of L'Aquila, Fudan University and Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, (P.R. China), Université de Liège.
Lectures on: Perception and representation; Artificial intelligence, Davidson and Dennett on mental states; Metaphor and cognitive semantics; Theories of knowledge; McDowell, Sellars and the mind; Cognition and knowledge; Philosophy of Science; Philosophy of the cognitive sciences; Mental causation; Issues in metaphysics; Consciousness and content; Dispositional and categorical properties.
Meetings, conferences, seminars
UNIVAQ Online learning platform
Institutional Research Information System
Historical notes and practical information
Info, Online bulletin board